- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Protect Your Identity Week (PYIW) is October 20 – 27, 2012! Better Business Bureau is helping area consumers fight Identity Theft with a special event!
The BBB, along with Cintas, and Kroger, will hold a FREE local shredding event. The event will be held Saturday, October 20, 2012, from 6 am to Noon at 12501 Shelbyville Road, Louisville, in the Middletown Kroger parking lot. Cintas Corporation, a national shredding partner for PYIW, will provide the FREE shredding. Consumers are allowed to shred up to 3 large boxes or bags of documents for free. Workers will remove the items from the vehicle. Consumers don’t even have to get out of their cars!
Consumers are encouraged to drop off any documents that contain bank account numbers, social security numbers, birth dates, or pin numbers.
BBB’s event was a huge success last year, with nearly 700 cars stopping by, and Cintas shredded more than 24,880 pounds of documents.
Identity Theft Tips
- Do not keep Social-Security card in wallet or purse
- Do not put bills or checks in home mailbox for pickup
- Check credit reports, bank statements and credit-card statements often for irregularities
- Shred all documents with personal information
- Never give personal information to someone on phone, internet or email claiming to be your bank.
- Do not store credit-card number on shopping websites
More tips can be found at www.ProtectYourIDNow.org.
“Fighting identity theft is a constant battle,” says Reanna Smith-Hamblin, VP/Communications, for the BBB/Louisville. “We are all potential victims, so it’s important that we all take steps to fight identity theft, and Protect Your Identity Week is a great place to start. You can participate in a free shredding event to protect yourself now.”
For more information on this event, contact Reanna Smith-Hamblin at 502-588-0043 or email@example.com.