Former coach also faced domestic violence complaint filed by wife

-A A +A
By The Staff

BARDSTOWN – Two weeks before being indicted, a former instructor and coach in the Bullitt County Public School System had a domestic violence report filed against him in Nelson County.

On Nov. 6, the wife of Larry Brent Childress filed a domestic violence petition in Nelson District Court.

On Nov. 18, Childress was indicted by the Bullitt County Grand Jury on three counts of rape and sodomy dating back to an incident starting in 1993.

Childress, 40, currently is housed in the Bullitt County Detention Center on a $200,000 cash bond and is due to be arraigned on Monday, Nov. 24.

In the petition, Childress’ wife claimed that the former North Bullitt baseball coach was “not in a well mental state.” He was ordered to have no contact with his wife or children.

She wrote that he admitted having sex with a girl who was 14 or 15 years old at the time when he was a 21-year-old substitute teacher.

She said he threatened to kill himself and pushed her, at which point she began to “get scared due to there is a firearm in our closet.”

His wife claimed that he threatened to kill her in the past and that she feared for herself and their two children.

Childress served as a substitute teacher and then the in-school suspension administrator at Hebron Middle School. During his 15 years in the school system, Childress served as an assistant coach in various sports at Hebron Middle and at North Bullitt High. He was the head baseball coach for eight years at North Bullitt until the summer of 2006, when his annual contract was not renewed.

He was hired in August 2006 as the an instructional assistant at Horizons Academy, the alternative program for Nelson County. He also served the past two years as the head baseball coach at Nelson County High School.

According to Nelson County superintendent Dr. Jan Lantz, Childress has been placed on suspension without pay.

Kentucky State Police spokesman Steve Pavey said that it appeared only a single victim had come forward. The alleged incidents occurred between 1993 and 1995 and Pavey said it did not appear any of the encounters occurred on school property.

The most serious of the charges is a Class B felony, punishable by 10-20 years in prison.

Childress was released from jail Friday after posting a $50,000 cash bond.