Attorney General Jack Conway and his Office of Consumer Protection today announced that a contractor accused of failing to perform repair services for a Louisville resident, despite being paid to do so, has pleaded guilty to one count of theft by deception over $500, a class D felony.
Sean Riggs, 28, entered the plea this morning in Jefferson Circuit Court. Prosecutors recommended a five-year probated prison sentence on the condition that Smith pays $5,800 in restitution to the victim. Formal sentencing for Riggs is scheduled for September 3.
Riggs was the owner of Above the Rest Roofing, a roofing company located in Louisville. Riggs entered into a contract with the victim to replace the roof on the victim’s home. Riggs advised the victim that he needed money upfront to buy materials to complete the work. However, after the victim paid, Riggs never returned to complete the work.
Attorney General Conway encourages consumers needing storm repair work or cleanup services to follow these important tips:
· Consumers should never pay the full amount to a contractor before the work is completed.
· Use local, reputable contractors for repairs, if possible. If local contractors bring in out-of-town workers, ask who will be responsible for their work if it is not satisfactory.
· Ask if the contractor is licensed, bonded (if required by the city or county), and insured.
· Check unknown companies out with the Better Business Bureau or call the Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection to see if information is available about the company.
· Demand a written contract. If possible, get estimates from several contractors.
· Be suspicious of unfamiliar, out-of-state vehicles and those who offer repair work at unreasonably low prices. Contact local law enforcement about your suspicions.
For additional information or to file a consumer protection complaint, call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-888- 432-9257 or visit ag.ky.gov.
You can follow Attorney General Conway on Twitter @kyoag, visit the Attorney General’s Facebook page or view videos on our YouTube channel.