- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HILLVIEW - Occupants at the Fairfield Inn evacuated into icy conditions Tuesday morning following a small fire inside the hotel.
Firefighters responded to the scene on Brenton Way at 10:37 a.m. Zoneton Fire chief Rob Orkies said the fire was confined to one room, though smoke filled the third floor.
Orkies said the fire began in a trash can in the corner of a room. He said the sprinkler system had the fire out by the time firefighters reached the scene.
Occupants remained evacuated for a few hours while smoke was ventilated from the third floor. The hotel would remain open following the temporary evacuation.
Orkies said anyone who could not return to their rooms would be offered transportation to the Red Cross storm shelter located at Shepherdsville City Hall.
Tom Hillman, chief operating officer with Musselman Hotels (owners of the Fairfield Inn) said occupants who could not return to their rooms would be offered rooms at other hotels owned by the company.
"We'll take care of them," he said.
Zoneton was assisted by Okolona Fire units. St. Matthews Fire also assisted with a smoke ventilation system.
Hillview Police and Bullitt County Sheriffs units also responded to the scene, along with Bullitt County Emergency Management.