Jury still deliberating murder case

-A A +A
By The Staff

SHEPHERDSVILLE — A Bullitt County jury was still deliberating the murder case against Keith Moore Tuesday evening.

After six hours of deliberation, the six-man, six-woman jury was still behind closed doors in Bullitt Circuit Court.

Moore faces the charges of murder, wanton endangerment, kidnapping, complicity to tampering with physical evidence and intimidation of a participant in a legal proceeding.

The shooting occurred on Jan. 16, 2007, in Moore’s home in Whispering Oaks Manufactured Housing Community.

Moore is charged with shooting Tim Nevitt shot twice at the trailer. His body was disposed of in a field off Sarver Lane.

Moore was caught in Nelson County two days after alleged shooting.

In the case, Moore was pleading the shooting was in self-defense.

The jury listened to two hours of closing arguments from defense attorney Rebecca Murrell and prosecutor Mike Ferguson.

Ferguson said that Moore’s interview with Bullitt County Sheriff’s Det. Scotty McGaha laid out the roadmap to conviction on all the charges.

“He told lie after lie after lie,” said Ferguson.

During the interview, Ferguson said Moore talked about shooting Nevitt in self-defense. However, the assistant commonwealth attorney said that the panic described by Moore was nothing but a lie.

Moore destroyed the crime scene on Jan. 16, 2007, by having his friends help him clean up the kitchen. And he knew what he was doing enough to get a friend to  help him take the body to Sarver Lane.

“He can’t keep the lies straight,” Ferguson pointed out of the testimony.

“He knew exactly what he wanted to do and he did it,” said Ferguson.

Days prior to the killing, Ferguson said Moore made the call to his friend Mark Boggs telling him that he was going to kill Nevitt and wanted  help.

When Nevitt’s sister called seeking to find the deceased, Ferguson said Moore told her that he wasn’t there when he knew he was already dead.

“He took a human life,” said Ferguson.

Without Danielle Walker coming forward, Ferguson said there is a chance that Moore would have gotten away with murder.

Walker was Nevitt’s girlfriend who was with the trio the day of the murder. She also accompanied Moore and Paul Cipperone to bury the body. She spent the next two days with Moore, stating that she feared for her life.

In looking at the evidence, Ferguson told the jury that it had no choice but to convict Moore of all charges.

“This is an evil man,” said Ferguson. “You know what he is capable of.”

In her closing, Murrell said that Walker couldn’t keep her stories straight. In fact, she said the girl would say whatever was necessary to not be charged in the case.

She said that jail records from Nelson County showed that Moore visited on Wednesday, which left Walker alone at the mobile home.

Walker repeatedly gave contradictory statements during the trial, according to Murrell.

While she described Nevitt as being calm on the day of the death, Murrell said other witnesses testified that he was loud and obnoxious and asked to leave the home of Rick Lucas.

She told McGaha that she didn’t have any role in digging the grave but Murrell said Walker changed that story in court.

Murrell said if Moore feared that Walker would run away so much that he pointed a gun at her head, why did he leave her alone on Wednesday and why did he let her drive a vehicle to the Silver Heights Shopping Center later that night.

Walker told detectives she used Nevitt’s cell phone to call police. But the victim’s sister testified that her brother didn’t have a cell phone, according to Murrell.

Murrell told the jury that Nevitt was upset after Jan. 1 when Moore told  him to move out of the trailer. She said he had a violent side, especially when drinking.

The attorney said that Moore did fear for his life on the night of Jan. 16 when Nevitt came at him with a knife.

“There is every reason in this case that Keith Moore did not intentionally kill Tim Nevitt,” Murrell told the jurors. “Keith Moore acted in self-defense.”



Tuesday, Oct. 7:

Billy Ray Moore testified that his son called him around 8-9 p.m. on the night of the shooting. He said that his son told him that he had shot Nevitt. He said his son told him that Nevitt had threatened to kill him with a knife and then he shot the victim.

On several occasions, the father said he told Keith Moore to call the police that evening. Billy Moore said that he also failed to call the police.


Wednesday, Oct. 8:

Mark Boggs told the jury on Wednesday that he got a call from Moore early one morning four or five days before the shooting.

During the conversation, Boggs said Moore was upset with Nevitt and asked him to help get rid of the body. However, at the time Boggs said he didn't think anything had happened and he told Moore to look for other ways to handle the dispute.

When he went over to Moore's home on Jan. 18, he didn't know anything had happened.

Murrell questioned him on why he didn't call the police after the initial phone call. She also wondered if his testimony was a way to possibly avoid having his probation revoked. A hearing is planned for the revocation after the trial is completed.

Boggs said there was no connection and prosecutors came to question him this summer about what he knew.

Theresa Jones said she went over to the mobile home about 9 p.m. on the night of the murder with Moore's sister, Kimberly. When she arrived, she said Moore mentioned the shooting and Nevitt having a knife and there being a fight.

She said there was a lot of blood on the kitchen floor and several people were there cleaning up the mess.

Jones said that she was afraid of Moore and didn't want to call the police, especially while Kimberly Moore was present.


Thursday, Oct. 9:

The girlfriend of Nevitt took the stand on Thursday as the jury got to listen to her call to 911 after witnessing the shooting and having to stay with the alleged killer for another 36 hours.

Danielle Walker told juror that she was in the living room the night of Jan. 16 when Moore and Nevitt were talking in the kitchen. When she turned around, she saw Moore shoot Nevitt.

She testified that Nevitt and Moore had verbal battles over Nevitt having to leave Moore's home in early January. But she said it wasn't anything violent.

Walker said that after the shooting, Moore called several people and a couple came over that night. Included in the events of that evening was Paul Cipperone, who they went to see and then came back with sheets and blankets and shovels.

She said that the three drove around to Sarver Lane, where the body was drug and disposed of, covered with leaves and brush since the ground was too hard to dig a hole.

After spending Wednesday in the home with Moore, the defendant left on Thursday. At that time, she found Nevitt's old cell phone and called 911. Bullitt County Sheriff's deputies arrived shortly thereafter.

Under cross-examination, she said that Nevitt drank some whiskey and did meth but it wasn't too often. She said while she wanted to leave the home and she had the opportunity to talk with several visitors, she felt that it would result in her death.

Even when the pair were in separate vehicles driving Nevitt's car to a bar in Jefferson County, she felt Moore would shoot her.


Friday, Oct. 10:

Det. Scotty McGaha testified that he was the person who interviewed many of the witnesses, said that Moore gave him a statement after his arrest.

He said Moore was able to lead him to the location of Nevitt's body. But McGaha said that Moore continued to tell him that the shooting was in self-defense. He told the investigator that when Moore came at him with a knife, he fired two shots. And then he panicked and didn't call the police.

As the defense got its first opportunity, Murrell introduced jail records from Nelson County showing that Moore had indeed left Walker alone in the trailer as he visited a friend in Bardstown.

She also produced witnesses who spoke of Nevitt's behavior on Jan. 16.


Monday, Oct. 13:

On the final day of testimony, Murrell recalled Walker to the witness stand.

Under examination, Walker said that she should have told McGaha that he used the little shovel to dig grave and that she shouldn't have told him that it was Moore and Cipparone who dug the grave.

Walker also told the jury that she gave McGaha quick answers on the day she was rescued from the trailer and didn't recall every detail.

On Wednesday, Jan. 18, Walker maintained she didn't know that Moore had left her alone. The jail records showed that Moore had visited at 2 p.m. on that day.

Under cross-examination by Ferguson, Walker said Moore had given her two little blue pills on that Wednesday and she remembered sleeping a lot during that time.

Julie Lucas testified that Walker, Nevitt and Moore all visited her home on Jan. 16. She remembered that Nevitt was loud and obnoxious and she told him to leave.

Moore replied that she didn't have to worry about Nevitt returning, according to Lucas.


Tuesday, Oct. 14:

A jury began deliberating Tuesday morning in the murder trial of Keith Moore.

Throughout the trial, jurors have gotten to see how attorneys from the prosecution and from the defense have related different pictures of what happened on Jan. 16, 2007.

Assistant commonwealth's attorney Mike Ferguson and defense attorney Rebecca Murrell are expected to give closing arguments on Tuesday morning and the jury will then decide the fate of Moore.

On Jan. 16, 2007, Timmy Nevitt and Moore were in a manufactured home off Barricks Road when two fatal shots were fired.

Moore is facing charges of murder, kidnapping, tampering with physical evidence, wanton endangerment and intimidating a participant in a legal process.

Ferguson has attempted to prove the Moore committed the act of murder by shooting Timmy Nevitt in his Whispering Oaks home.

And then, without calling the police or medical personnel, took the body and buried it off Sarver Lane.

But Murrell has attempted to prove that her client acted in self-defense and Nevitt attacked Moore with a knife. Also, she spent a lot of time trying to show that the key witness for the prosecution told different stories at different times.