SHEPHERDSVILLE - Whether you call it Obamacare or the affordable health care act, employees with Bullitt County government could be calling it an early Christmas present.
Angie Priddy, the county’s insurance representative, said that due to provisions in the national affordable health care reform act, a refund would be sent to Bullitt County.
Under the provisions, Humana earned a higher percentage of premiums versus claims in its large group market and a refund was mandated by the new federal standards.
The rebate to Bullitt County would be just over $31,000. Based on the percentage of premiums paid, the county covers 90 percent and employees pay for the remaining 10 percent.
Of the employees who pay part of their health insurance premiums, county treasurer Kenann Sharp estimated it might be around $70 for each worker.
The money must be distributed within three months and Sharp said it would be easiest to include it in a regular paycheck. The funds would be taxed at the employee’s normal rate.
Hyte Rouse, a member of the county’s insurance committee, said that group recommended taking the county’s $28,000 refund and using it to help pay for the January premiums.
Brown said the county could use its portion of the refund on anything, including putting it toward the next round of premiums.
In other business:
*Jailer Martha Knox reported that female inmates cleaned over 100 school buses over the summer.
It is an annual service provided by the Bullitt County Detention Center for the school system.
She also reported that Southern Health Partners assisted in getting the county reimbursement for medical fees through a state program. Over $16,000 had been recovered in medical services billed to the county.
*No action was taken on the soil conservation budget issue.
Magistrate John Bradshaw was working with the soil conservation district. Since the county did not accept the proposed budget, it must come up with reasons for the denial and suggestions on how the agency will continue. The county increased its appropriation to $75,000 this budget year but that was still less than requested.
The soil conservation district has worked to provide assistance with clean up days and dead animal removal services.
*The county will again use Area Development Funds of $7,100 for continued renovations of the Saltwell Drive building. The ADF money has been used for renovations the past three years.
The next meeting of Bullitt Fiscal Court will be at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 21, at the courthouse. The public is invited to attend.