.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Previous bomb threat will send man to prison

-A A +A

 SHEPHERDSVILLE - Last October, Robert J. Pronovost II didn’t want to go to prison.

So, while admittedly being under the influence, he called in a bomb threat to the courthouse.

It may have delayed the inevitable for a short period of time but the Shepherdsville man is now headed to prison.

Earlier this month,  Pronovost received his final sentencing.

Bullitt Circuit Judge Rodney Burress rejected defense attorney Jennifer Wittmeyer’s request for probation and drug treatment for her client.

Pronovost, who had entered a guilty plea to the charge of terroristic threatening, will serve a nine-year prison sentence.

In making his decision, Burress said the actions by Provonost placed a lot of people in danger, including the emergency personnel who had to respond to the bomb threat and the employees who worked in the various buildings.

He also agreed with prosecutor Michael Mann’s assessment that probation would diminish the severity of the crime. Also, with an extensive criminal background and with the opportunity in the past to receive diversion and shock probation, Mann felt Provonost would not be able to meet those conditions if given the chance.

Burress agreed.

During his guilty plea, Pronovost said that he didn’t want to go back to prison as he had a court appearance set for Oct. 21.

Instead, he went to a local business and made a phone call to Central Dispatch stating that there was a weapon of mass destruction in the judicial center or the sheriff’s office.

Both buildings, as well as the courthouse annex, were evacuated and eventually closed for the day. No device was ever found.

He was trying to avoid going to court that day because he going to be sentenced to one year in prison for possession of a controlled substance.

That would be added to a five-year felony on which his probation would be revoked. Pronovost would then be serving a six-year sentence.

He said he was under the influence at the time he made the call.

“It wasn’t my best judgment,” said Pronovost.

He told Burress that he had a very serious drug problem with heroin and methamphetamine being his biggest weaknesses.

When he is using drugs, Pronovost admitted that he did “very stupid things”. He also said that he used heroin daily, if possible.

During the plea, Burress said he would allow an evaluation to be done for inclusion in the drug court program; however, he wasn’t sure if Pronovost’s actions didn’t cross the line.

The judge said that hundreds of individuals were put in danger because of Pronovost’s threat.

When evaluated for the drug court, it was determined that Pronovost, 30, would not be eligible.