.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Trial for Bennington delayed until March

-A A +A
By The Staff

SHEPHERDSVILLE - Perry Bennington will have a few more weeks before a jury decides his fate on allegations dating back to the 1970s.

Bullitt Circuit Judge Rodney Burress granted a request Tuesday morning for a short continuance in the case.

Bennington, 59, was arrested in April 2007 after allegations were made of rape and sodomy of minor females over 30 years ago. After the initial reports were made, two other victims came forward.

On Tuesday, defense attorney Jamal Wooldridge and commonwealth attorney Mike Mann both agreed to the continuance.

Wooldridge was recently assigned to the case in the public advocacy's office. Rebecca Murrell had handled the case but recently left the state office to go into private practice with the firm of Buckman, Farris and Rakes.

When questioned by Burress, Bennington said he agreed with the short delay.

Mann said he also agreed so that Wooldridge had the opportunity to be well prepared for the case.

The prosecutor had not talked with the victims about the delay since it only arose just prior to the beginning of the trial.

The new trial date will be March 3 in Bullitt Circuit Court.

Bennington is already serving a 10-year sentence on one of the three cases. He remains housed in the Bullitt County Detention Center.

He was originally charged with over 1,000 counts of sexual abuse but that was reduced to several dozen by the grand jury.

In September 2007, The Pioneer News reported that a plea agreement had been proposed to wrap up all the cases; however, in October, that agreement was rejected by the defendant.