.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's Features

  •  NEW YORK - On Thanksgiving Day, alto saxophonist Sarah Schaaf brought some extra hope to the Bullitt Central community.

    The senior student performed in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the Great American Marching Band, and was also selected as the 2014 recipient of the Hope Scholarship.

    Awarded annually since 2003, the Bob and Delores Hope Charitable Foundation, in association with Macy’s, is given to a band performer participating in the parade.

  • Members of First Baptist Church of Shepherdsville, with the help of Boy Scout Troop 8281, provided Thanksgiving dinner to over 400 people Thursday. This is an annual mission of the church to a meal to those in need. The church also hosted dozens who came in to enjoy a meal and fellowship.

  •  SHEPHERDSVILLE - Quinton Higgins has something to be thankful for every day that he wakes up.

    But, for a number of years, that wasn’t the sentiment felt by the Radcliff resident.

    Instead, Higgins was a mess. A self-proclaimed mess.

    Students at the Bullitt Alternative Center intently listened recently as Higgins told his story on how his life nearly ended at the age of 15.

  •  HILLVIEW - When someone is experiencing a heart attack, emergency medical responders are often the first line of care. 

    Having the latest technology can make the difference between life and death. 

    KentuckyOne Health officials recently presented new technological equipment to Bullitt County EMS, which will help to ensure that patients who may be suffering a heart attack get the care they need more quickly.

  •  Local students followed the Yellow Brick Road to the Bullitt Central Drama Club’s presentation of “The Wizard of Oz.”

    The Club performed the classic Frank E. Baum story live in the school auditorium.

    Two night-time performances were hosted for the public, along with two matinee shows in which area elementary school students were invited.

    Bullitt County Public Schools employees received free admission.

  •  MOUNT WASHINGTON - One Old Mill teacher got to have an “out of this world” experience this summer.

    STEAM instructor Richard Cox was chosen to participate in a 5-day course at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala., in June.

    Cox spent time each day doing hands-on math and science activities he could later implement in his classroom. But his favorite part was the “space missions.”

  •  The Mt. Washington AARP fundraiser was no stranger to generosity this year. The annual Veteran’s Day dinner had to be moved from the Senior Center to Paroquet Springs Conference Centre in Shepherdsville this year due to high attendance in the previous years.

    President Vivian Adams said they have been “overwhelmed” with donations.

    Currently the amount raised is about $7,200 with more coming in.

  •  HILLVIEW - The Guru Market Spirit Gas Station in Hillview knows how to dish out the Thanksgiving holiday spirit.

    Employees and their family members will prepare free meals for the store’s third annual Thanksgiving dinner event.

    Owner Ishwar Patel said the store, known for its Broaster chicken, will offer a complete meal with broasted turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and a roll.

    Guru Market distributed about 700 free meals last year. They are preparing to serve up to 900 this year.

  •  SHEPHERDSVILLE - Fall Break for Bullitt County Public Schools did not deter the Shepherdsville Fire Department from teaching safety techniques.

    SFD hosted a fire safety and rescue demo at the Shepherdsville Government Center.

    Firefighters hosted demonstrations involving water rescues, ladder saves and home safety tips for families, as well as kid-friendly, hands-on fire rescue activities.

    Children visited a fire safety van to learn how to retreat a smoking home safely. The van was implemented courtesy of Mt. Washington Fire.

  •  FRANKFORT, Ky. (Nov. 24, 2014) – Leaving food on the stove to cook unattended is a recipe for disaster, says Kentucky State Fire Marshal William Swope.

    According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.

    "Being aware of fire safety while preparing your holiday meal can mean the difference between calling family and friends to the dinner table or calling the fire department to put out a fire," said Swope.