Local News

  • Nichols fire board makes changes to correct ills

        NICHOLS - On Monday, the theft case against former Nichols Fire board chairman and treasurer James Johnson Jr. was sent to the Bullitt County Grand Jury.
        The next evening, members of the Nichols Fire District board of trustees were taking steps to get a tighter control over the finances.
        Johnson, the long-time chairman of the fire district board and treasurer for the district, was arrested recently and faces a felony charge of theft by unlawful taking over $10,000.

  • Fackler winding down as jailer, 24/7 campaigner

     SHEPHERDSVILLE - After handing out business cards and shaking hands with anyone within arm’s length the past 12 years, the question is a simple one.

  • Conference centre expansion proceeds

     SHEPHERDSVILLE - Despite the lack of assistance through the federal stimulus incentives, the Shepherdsville-Bullitt County Tourist and Convention Commission is moving forward with the expansion of its showcase facility.

  • Local man hospitalized after crashing into telephone pole on 480

        A local man sustained relatively minor injuries after crashing a black Ford Mustang into a telephone pole on Cedar Grove Road Monday morning.
        When Shepherdsville fire and police units arrived on the scene in the 400 block of Cedar Grove Road near I-65 around 9:40 a.m. the car was found totaled with the driver lodged inside.
        Cpt. Matt Smothers of the Shepherdsville Fire Department said firefighters had to remove the driver-side door to extricate the victim.

  • Repeal of insurance tax ends in tie

     SHEPHERDSVILLE - Magistrate Buddy Shepherd may have wanted to give a little extra Christmas gift to all in Bullitt County who paid insurance premiums.

  • Heater recall

     The Bullitt County Health Department warned that Wal-Mart is recalling over two million electric heaters.

    The store placed a recall on 1,500-watt heaters with the product names of 'Flow Pro', 'Airtech', 'Aloha Breeze' and 'Comfort Essentials'.

    Malfunctions in the heaters may result in overheating, causing fires or melting.

    The Health Department warned consumers to stop using the heaters immediately and return them to Wal-Mart for a refund.

  • Mother faces abuse charge after toddler suffers injuries

     MOUNT WASHINGTON - A mother has been charged with causing serious injuries to her 2-year-old son.

  • Pioneer Village hopes to slow down traffic

    PIONEER VILLAGE - A school without a school crossing has a few Pioneer Village residents on high alert.

    Speeding vehicles along Shepherds Way have become such a concern that residents brought signed petitions to the City Council during the November business meeting.

    Resident Todd Boley said the signatures were in favor off adding speed humps to the roadway.

  • Icy way to close out a school semester

        Shepherdsville - Bullitt Countians were greeted with cold, ice and snow over the past week but the inclement weather resulted in few problems.

        The Bullitt County Public Schools were closed on Thursday and Friday, giving students an early Christmas gift as classes will not resume until Jan. 3. Of course, students will now be in class until May 27.

  • Almost snow for Christmas


       It's not exactly the white Christmas everyone hoped for.

    A winter storm blanketed Bullitt County and surrounding areas with a sheet of ice early Thursday morning.

    Bullitt County Public Schools were closed at 4:45 a.m. due to the dangerous early morning road conditions. Officials closed Friday classes at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, extending the Christmas break.

    The area was under a winter storm warning during the Wednesday/Thursday overnight hours. Freezing rain began to fall around 11 p.m. Wednesday.