.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Former Henderson Co. church treasurer guilty of embezzlement

     OWENSBORO – The former treasurer of Greater Norris Baptist Church, located in Henderson County, Kentucky, was sentenced in United States District Court today, by Chief Judge Joseph H. McKinley Jr., to 21 months in prison, followed by a three year period of supervised release and was ordered to pay $201,260.02 in restitution, announced United States Attorney John E. Kuhn, Jr.

  • BE’s Peak signs with NAIA Cumberlands

     MOUNT WASHINGTON – Bullitt East senior Alyssa Peak was determined that she was not going to make a rush decision about a college during the season.

    That plan worked out to perfection as she would have made a completely different decision during the season.

    As it turned out, Peak didn’t really get any attention from the University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg, Kentucky until after the end of the season in March. Up until that point, Peak was getting most of the attention from Centre and Indiana University-Southeast.

  • Young Authors Winners

     Dozens of elementary and middle school students wrote their way to honors during the district’s 2017 Young Author ceremony.

    School winners received certificates while district winners were awarded plaques. Here are results from each grade level:

  • Marshall Co. resident sentenced for bank, i.d. fraud

      PADUCAH – A Marshall County, Kentucky, resident was recently sentenced in United States District Court, by Senior Judge Thomas B. Russell, to 51 months in prison, followed by a three year period of supervised release and was ordered to pay $109,064.94 in restitution for committing bank fraud and identity fraud announced United States Attorney John E. Kuhn, Jr.

  • Cougars finish 10th at archery nationals

     LOUISVILLE – Competing last weekend at the NASP Nationals in Louisville, the number one Bullitt Central team finished tenth overall out of 248 teams.

    Coach Dustin Metcalf’s squad finished with a score of 3,411, slightly off the team’s best mark of the season at 3,416. That score came in winning the KHSAA Region 4 title back in March.

  • Diamond sports post-season starts Monday

     SHEPHERDSVILLE – The final group of post-season tourneys will start today as both softball and baseball move into district play.

    The good news for local fans is that they won’t have to go out of the county this year for the first week of play.

    Nothing has changed in the format for the two post-season diamond events. The top two teams in each tourney will advance to the Sixth Region tournaments which will be held the following week. As in the past, the district winners will be host teams on Memorial Day and will be playing a district runner-up.

  • Beavers resigns as BCHS principal; Franklin interim as replacement sought

     SHEPHERDSVILLE — Bullitt Central High will seek out a new principal for the 2017-18 school year.

    Dr. James Beavers has resigned from his position of principal effective at the end of June. He is currently on leave and may return before the end of the school year.

    Superintendent Keith Davis said that retired principal Bonita Franklin has been selected as interim principal. Before retirement, Franklin has served as principal in several schools.

  • Alpha Way project still under budget

    SHEPHERDSVILLE — Even with a pretty substantial change order, the Alpha Way road project looks that it will still come in under budget.

    Meeting for the first time in 2017, the Alpha Way road committee members listened as the project draws closer to completion.

    Chairperson Gloria Taft said that even with an unexpected bill of over $172,000 to upgrade an AT&T fiber optics line, the project still looks to finish at under the $3.75 million estimate.

  • MW Middle named third time as School to Watch

     MOUNT WASHINGTON— For the third time in a row, Mount Washington Middle School has proven that it takes more than test scores to elevate students.

    The school was recently named a 2017 National School to Watch school, a title that last three years. The school previously earned the title in 2010 and 2013.

    The National School to Watch program began in 1999 and identifies schools across the country that are well on their way to meetings the criteria for high performance, Principal Dr. Denise Allen said. 

  • Water rates will rise in MW to follow LWC increase

     MOUNT WASHINGTON— When Louisville Water Company raises its rates, Mount Washington must follow.

    Due to the 2.22 percent increase from the Louisville Water Company for 2017 and the 2.5 percent increase from the consumer Pricing Index, the city of Mount Washington will raise water and sewer rates to reflect the increases, totaling 4.72 percent.

    The ordinance was read for the first time at the recent city council meeting.